Tuesday, February 1, 2011

ExxonMobil Tennis Tournament - January 3-8, 2011

This fall and winter there have been many opportunities to watch tennis at Khalifa Stadium.  
January 3-8, 2011 was another event, this time the ExxonMobil Tournament.  
It perfectly coincided with Mom and Dad Marras' visit.
We were able to attend on January 5, 7 & for the final on the 8th.

January 5, 2011
First up:  Federer (my personal fave) and Chiudinelli 
Chiudeinelli and Federer are long time friends both from Switzerland so it was great to watch such a match.  
I just love watching Federer play.   This is the 2nd time I've watched him live.  Last year we were able to see him at Roland Garros (French Open).   
I love it!
In the end, Roger was triumphant against Chiudinelli. 
 On the break between matches, they played a video that Federer and Nadal shot in Doh out on the water...yup, I said it, on the water.  Check out the photos and then video at end for full effect.  






The 2011 video :)
Jedd's  (my older brother) response after watching this was...."You live there?!?"  I wish my brothers (and rest of our families) could all visit and see the amazing country in which we live.  

The 2010 video:)
Magic carpet ride anyone?

Next up: 
Rafa vs. Lacko






  
In the end, Nadal was triumphant.  
We really got to watch Nadal's quirky ways up close and personal.  
He keeps his water bottles at a 45 degree angle from each other.  He's got to enter the court at a 90 degree angle.  The weirdest is his "undergarment picking" habits . . . those who have seen Nadal play know exactly what I am talking about! 

January 7, 2011 (Semi-Finals)
First up:  Tsonga vs. Federer


 Federer won and is now in the finals :)

Next up:  Nadal vs. Davydenky

Nadal at work 
Sorry Nadal, this is just weird "superstitious" behavior 


Much to Nadal's disappointment, he lost!!!!  
I'm not going to lie, I was rooting for Davydenko....well, until the next day when he was to play Federer. 

January 8, 2010
Federer vs. Davydenko
Sorry Eric!
Ultra VIPs

Federer's wife in the middle  (at the end, she caught the ball that Federer hit ) and won an iPad! She was so cute at the end and seemed very excited he won.
During the match, neither showed much emotion. 

Triumphant Federer!!!!  So happy he won!
 Ending Ceremony . . . one of the weirder ones I have witnessed but nice. 
Wacky lights


These were tap dancers on the ledge of one of the boards...different
These guys should have had a spot light on them.... I mean, come on, they're on harnesses over the entire crowd.
Paper lanterns with fire in them flying through the air. . . not the best laid plan, because one caught on fire!
High ranking officials from Qatar and ExxonMobil
They saved this one from near-fire.  Not sure whose face is hanging from it?  Anyone? 
Photo op . . . they were facing the Ultra VIP's chairs so we all either got their backs or their sides.

Again, this is just another "big fish in a small pond" Doha experience.  It's amazing we get to see this caliber of tennis played as often as we have.


Next up:  Women's WTA tournament in Mid-February

1 comment:

  1. That is amazing! You're doing a great job on your blog Jennie!

    ReplyDelete