Friday, December 17, 2010

Expect Amazing!!! Qatar wins the World Cup Bid 2022!!!

It has been a very exciting time to live in Qatar.   Since we've moved here (and even more since the summer), Qatar has been promoting their bid for the 2022 World Cup.   A few friends and I went to the announcement on December 2 to a park near our house called Aspire to watch the bid announcement live.   It was jam packed, full of people.  

Why not?!  These tubas proved to be great for amping everyone up,....but sometimes annoying!



Interviewing some children

Everyone sporting the Qatar flag colors

Talking about the possible bid

Anxiously awaiting the announcement at the Souq

Pride

There was so much emotion right before the announcement



And the winner is . . . Q A T A R! ! ! !   We literally were jumping up and down...and tears were streaming down my face.   I know, I know, the US lost out on their chance but I truly believe it is a wonderful thing for both the Middle East and Qatar.  The amount of pride this country has shown is something I've never seen and I'm happy to be a part of it all. 



The Emir and his wife, Sheikha Mozah accepting the bid

Our presence at Aspire Park even landed us (our friends Lauren and Rob...poor Eric was on his way home from work) a spot in the Arabic version of the Gulf Times.   I'll try and figure a way to post the commercial I played "woman in taxi" in...I literally was on for about 2 seconds, but still pretty cool.  
Like I said before...it's an exciting time for Qatar....life as we know it is already different here...it's going to be a crazy 12 years - as if the construction now isn't bad enough.  Eric and I both agreed, if we are able, we'll be back for the 2022 World Cup . . . hopefully we'll recognize this wonderful little city in which we live.  Qatar has been good to us and we hope it doesn't loose it's charm.  

No comments:

Post a Comment